As a mommy, Kajol is particular about every little detail of her kids' daily routine. She takes it upon herself to make their lives healthy and fun.
A tough task master, the pretty bong beauty has set some stringent rules as far as her kids are concerned. She says, "The one golden rule that I have in my house is - As Momma Says." According to Kajol, her word is final. Little Yug and Nysa do not ask questions or even need to know what, why and how, when momma has given her dictate. "What I say is written in stone and there are no explanations thereafter," she reveals.
She happily proclaims, "I am proud of the fact that my kids listen to 70% of the things I say. The other 30% is open for fights and compromises but we deal with it. I think it's a good ratio."
With a 99% attendance record at all school events, the doting mom shares a fantastic bond with her little ones who understand her compulsive need to take care of them and protect them. "When you have carried a child in your womb for nine months, that bond is different. We call it the mothering instinct for a reason. As mothers we naturally have that caring feeling towards our younger kin," she explains.
When asked about her role in the family, she quickly responds, "I am the God in my family. All mothers are." The actress adores spending time with her little geniuses.
Kajol organises various activities that help the kids bond as a family and confesses that she isn't a keen participant in their play time. There is also a great deal of learning that she takes from them.
"I love spending time with them and I truly enjoy their company. In fact there are some things I have totally lost control over. Anything related to technology or computers is left upon Nysa to do."
The whole family shares a unique bond that's strengthened by spending quality time together. "Sometimes we just sit together. Nysa is reading a book and I am reading a book and we are bonding," she says.
As a mother of a growing girl, she hopes that their bond is strong and trusting enough to be able to discuss boyfriends someday. "I may not like it at first and may want to kill them, but I know that she is a cool kid who is sensible enough to handle her life and has her head firmly set on her shoulders," she explains.
Ajay, on the other hand, is an over protective dad who's planned the security details for when his little princess turns 18. "He has planned how those men in black suits will follow her with spyware and binoculars keeping a check on all her moves," chuckles Kajol.
Kajol's kids are some of the few celebrity children who live a fairly normal life away from the spotlight. This is a conscious effort by the celebrity couple to give their kids a normal upbringing. "I do not take them to places where the media is present. We have even spoken to the media and told them that we would appreciate it if they could keep our kids away."
The actress believes that this is necessary to give the kids a normal life. "Being celebrities, when we go out with them they are in the spot light by default. We have security around and we get recognised. It is too much of unnecessary stress for them."
Kajol doesn't have any future plans for her kids but wants them to live it up with grace, dignity and compassion. "If I can teach them this as a parent I would be more than happy. I don't mind if they choose to be a part of Bollywood or take up a job somewhere, but the fact that they need to work hard needs to be made clear."
But the biggest challenge she feels is to give them a balanced normal life, "It is important to give them a regular life. Too much exposure can lead them to believe that they are like the emperors of the universe. But this becomes a little difficult with our celebrity status and the security concerns," she concludes.